Data Protection (GDPR)
IT Support Team, Consultancy & Installation Specialists, providing services across the Northwest, including Wigan, Lancashire, Liverpool and Greater Manchester
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) now in force!
The General Data Protection Regulation (or GDPR as it’s more commonly known) is a new European directive that came into force in May 2018. It completely overhauls the previous Data Protection Act, and has significant implications for all businesses and schools across the European Union.
Here at The Little IT Company, we have helped organisations prepare for the GDPR, which is a massive undertaking for even modestly sized companies. Our experienced team can provide policy templates, external auditing and can work with you to secure your IT infrastructure. If your not sure how compliant you are, get in touch with us today to arrange an external audit.
How will GDPR impact us?
The changes introduced by the GDPR are so vast, that every organisation will be affected, but each in differing ways. As a result you will need to have all your bases covered. If you can’t answer the following questions, get in touch and we can help!
- Do you know who your Data Protection Officer (DPO) will be?
- Do you know what conflicts of interest prevent someone from serving as a DPO?
- Has your organisation reviewed and updated it’s policies to meet new guidelines?
- Do you have a data retention policy, and is it rigorously enforced?
- Do you know where all of your organisations data is held? Are you sending it to the cloud or to any third parties?
- Do you have data sharing agreements in place?
- Do you know how to identify and response to a subject access request?
- Do you know what legal basis you have for holding the data you do?
- Do you know how to report a breach to the regulator?
- Is your IT system up to scratch to ensure security is maintained?
- Do you use encryption where necessary to protect information?
To help organisations adjust to these changes, the ICO has released in-depth guidance that can be found online here.
A number of helpful webinars have also been released that can help you. If you are concerned your organisation may not be fulfilling it’s requirements, now is the time to get in touch. Under the new legislation, fines can be up to 20 million euros!